Friday, February 16, 2007

The European Bit

At 2pm toady i was eating my lunch in the sunshine in my shorts and flip flops, nut its not been quite so smooth.

After emotional farewells in Tunbridge Wells and London I bowled up at the docks in Portsmouth on Sunday 12th Feb to be told my ferry was cancelled due to bad weather over the Bay of Biscay. I was to either head home and wait for the next ferry in 3 days or take another crossing to France. I took the latter, arriving in St Malo, Britannny at 5am and headed south with my new biker mates i´d met on the ferry.




Within 3 miles they had shot off ahead and i found myself being buffeted across the autoroute by the very same winds that had cancelled my ferry to Bilbao. And precisely the reason i had opted to miss out France and head straight for Spain. For the first day of my trip it was roller coaster of a day both physically, due to the weather and lack of sleep, and emotionally- I was questioning my decision for doing the trip and felt deeply alone and very down about the whole adventure. This must have been a little mind tantrum as by the late afternoon the sun was out, i was on the back roads and casting long shadows over the vineyards of bordeau singing along to the Chili Peppers. The trip was good again.




I spent the night in in the lovely rambling Le Chateaux Gatte, St Andre Cubzac. A vineyard and B&B.




The following morning I had a good run through to Spain, stopping for lunch on the beach near Biaritz. The bikers round these parts liked to give me a strange below salute as they rode past. Is this a local kind of ¨hello fellow biker¨, a respect to amount of crap i´m carrying or disrespecting the my low speed and British number plates. I took it to be former and waved back.


Now i left my Spanish ¨Roughguide¨ which i was relying on for the language section at the back in England, so whilst Spain got warmer, especially as i descended on to the Med coast, i found i was embarrassingly lacking on the language side. I persevered on cervaza and cafe negro and arrived at Dad´s yesterday very hungry!
As you can see below (photo by Dad) the weather here is perfect, and i´m finishing off the bike jobs that did´t get done in the UK-i.e. changing the fork oil and renewing the clutch cable.





4 comments:

cleasbys said...

Fab blog Paul! Sorry to hear that your ferry was cancelled. All these little detours add to the adventure of the trip though including meeting interesting characters along the way:) Take care and look forward to reading more soon. From Sam and Russ.

Ollie said...

Any excuse not to come and visit us! This time motroing through the whole of France, jsut to avoid Jenny's cooking.

Well done for getting to destination A, and updating the blog - keep up the good work :)

Silvia said...

Hey Paul!Great blog!
I had already my first moment of emotion reding about you feeling lonely and down..
Happy that it was soon back on track.
We had a bit of an adventure ourselves...the train to Leeds was cancelled due to overhead power problems in Peterborough. What do you mean is not an adventure!?!

Have a great time Paul and keep us updated.

x
Silvia

Lizzi Walker said...

mmm...Sexy biker outfit:-)!