Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Go back to Burkina

dWell my attempt to get a Ghana visa on the border failed. The Ghanaian border police said they were just not able to issue me a visa, and it seemed any hints of paying extra was not going to change that. I was going to try the 'we used to own you' line and then thought better of it.
So after getting myself and the bike stamped out of Burkina i had to drive back in, and I thought, get a new visa. Fortunately the immigration guys were sympathetic and just stamped me back in and the customs chaps waved me through. Sweet. That was the silver lining to the cloud of having to turn back and head north. Which i really wasn't happy about.




With time on my hands before the Embassy opened today (yesterday was a national holiday for Mohamed's birthday) i headed up to a national park and spent the following morning watching elephants eat, wash, wallow and pull branches off of trees, all from the small campment with a restaurant and bar.

So back in the capital now, a little hung over after joining in the birthday celebrations yesterday ( yes, surprisingly everyone was out on the beer yesterday) and trying to escape the heat in an internet cafe but the air conditioning is groaning I'm dripping sweat on to the keyboard.

Andy has gone ahead (he had his visa) and i will meet him on a beach in Ghana. We will travel through Nigeria together and see how it goes from there. He to is headed for Cape town.

I have repeatedly been warned about travel in Nigeria, firstly by a Spanish businessman who imports chinese building materials all over the continent except there. Then by someone from the World Food Programme. And then by Nigerians themselves! We will try and blast though in 4 days. I have to start operating on high security mode something that I've not needed since Brixton. Every where so far i've felt very safe, even in the cities at night, and never really worry about the bike.

Tomorrow its pick up my passport and head south. Again.

No comments: